Glencore Ferroalloy’s Eastern Limb Training Centre plays a significant role within the Sekhukhune community, Limpopo Province, South Africa. The centre has partnered with the South African Mining Qualification Authority to create the MQA Generic Engineering Level 1 skills programme. This allows local residents to obtain an entry level, nationally-recognised certificate that is desirable to mining companies, helping them to work in the mining sector and giving them a general introduction to engineering. This community project ran from 2014 to 2015, with 225 community learners, and was funded by the MQA. 

In 2015, 2,007 community members completed a training course at the centre.

The training centre also runs the MQA Engineering Level 2 programme, funded by our assets. Learners studying for this qualification are trained in a specific engineering discipline such as electrical work, instrumentation or diesel mechanics. Our assets’ community development teams help to find candidates with the minimum entry requirements (Manufacturers’ Health & Safety Association (MHSA) hazard and risk assessment). Learners can earn credits towards the National Certificate in Engineering and other engineering qualifications. 

Eastern Limb also runs the MQA Engineering Level 4 programme, which offers learners higher-level credits towards their National Certificate in Engineering and other engineering qualifications. 

The centre is accredited for the 40% of the course that consists of theoretical and workshop learning. Glencore assets offer the practical workplace training that makes up the remaining 60%. Learners must complete the theoretical and practical phases, submit a portfolio of evidence and undergo a summative assessment. Certification allows employment in practical roles such as electricians and welders.