We produce and market chrome ore, ferrochrome and vanadium, and we are one of the world's largest and lowest-cost producers. We also market manganese ore and alloys.
Ferroalloys in figures
of ferrochrome produced from our own sources in 2017
of vanadium produced from our own sources in 2017
of platinum produced from our own sources in 2017
of palladium produced from our own sources in 2017
Uses of ferroalloys
Most of the world's ferrochrome is used in the production of corrosion resistant steel, more specifically stainless steel.
Most of the world's manganese is used in carbon steel production.
Vanadium alloys are used to strengthen specialty steels for use in niche and high-end applications. It is also used in the production of vanadium redox batteries.
Our chromite assets are held via our majority stake in the Glencore-–Merafe Chrome Venture , and our vanadium assets via our majority shareholdingstake in the Rhovan-Bakwena Vanadium Venture. We also have a joint-venture stake in a platinum mine.
Through our 79.5% stake in the Glencore-Merafe Chrome Venture, we have interests in the following mines and smelters:
- Helena, Magareng and Thorncliffe chrome mines, situated on the Eastern Limb of the Bushveld Igneous Complex
- Waterval and Kroondal chrome mines situated near Rustenburg on the Western Llimb of the Bushveld Igneous Complex
- Rietvly silica mine, an open-cast operation, situated near Rustenburg
We have a number of ferrochrome smelters with varying technology:
- Boshoek, Wonderkop and Rustenburg smelter complexes near Rustenburg, that use Outokompo technology
- Lion and Lydenburg smelter complexes near Steelpoort and Lydenburg respectively, that use Premus technology
We have an interest in Mototolo, a joint-venture platinum mine.
Located near Brits, Rhovan is an open-cast mine and smelter complex, which mainly produces ferrovanadium and vanadium pentoxide.
Char Technologies produces high-quality electrode paste and char that are used in the production of ferroalloys.